My current Home-assistant setup is changing a lot at the moment. Trying to get my newest add-on to work; z-wave devices. I’ve added an Aeotec Z-stick Gen5 and a Fibaro single switch FGS-213. The switch is supposed to control my lights in the driveway and it works quite OK.
One of the things that can be tricky is when you add the z-wave node, it displays a lot of useless sensors in HA. Also I’ve noticed that the sensors sometimes change names. This has to be figured out before I’m going to add more nodes. For this I use the HA community and I’m always surprised to how fast I get a response to my questions or comments.
My setup is containing these devices:
- Raspberry Pi3 (runs the HA software)
- Aeotech Z-stick USB Gen5 (Z-wave controller)
- Fibaro Single switch 2 FGS-213 (on/off switch with energy meter)
- Philips Hue gateway (light control)
- IKEA Tradfri gateway (light control)
- Sonoff custom flashed Wi-Fi switches (on/off switch)
- Apple TV gen3 (media player)
- 3 x Google Chromecast (media player)
More z-wave devices are planned for the future. Light control switches and sensors for environment, presence detection and alarm function.
Automation of my home devices and appliances is another chapter in my project. The idea is to create a smarter way to have electronic devices act without human intervention. Turn on lights when you need it and not having to think about switches or remote controllers. It just happens. Well the automation will be implemented when I get all my devices installed and setup.
My project will be more and more detailed here on my web home. One key to success is to have a described procedure in case of a emergency restore of the system. For you to read and to document my own work.